Site powered by Infolink MAKE THIS YOUR PRINCE EDWARD COUNTY HOME...PAGE!  Monday, August 21st, 2017

Red Cross flood funding assistance available

Sand bags placed along the shore of an East Lake residence.

The Canadian Red Cross has announced $4 million in financial assistance for those affected by the spring flooding in Ontario and Quebec.

Beginning next week, eligible registered households could receive $600 to help purchase what they urgently need.

The amount includes more than $3 million for about 5,200 households in Quebec and close to $1 million for approximately 1,600 households in Ontario. Beginning next week, the distribution of direct financial assistance from the Red Cross will be provided to households through electronic banking transfers.

“Future Red Cross recovery assistance will be provided based on the generosity of Canadians and the specific needs of the families most affected by the floods, and will be determined through one-on-one needs assessments with impacted families and individuals,” said Stephanie Murphy, co-ordinator communications, with the Canadian Red Cross.

Households can register for Canadian Red Cross assistance online at redcross.ca/gethelp, by phone at 1-800-863-6582.

Flood-impacted households already registered with the Red Cross are required to re-register as additional information is required for this assistance. Households not yet registered with Red Cross are still eligible for assistance.

Murphys says the fastest and most effective way to get this help is to submit an email address during registration so that financial support can be channeled electronically.

All households registered with the Canadian Red Cross for assistance and whose primary residence is verified within a recognized flood-impacted area are eligible, whether they evacuated or stayed in their homes.

Murphys said the assistance was made possible by the generosity of Canadians who have donated more than $7.4 million so far to the Red Cross Spring Floods Appeal, with $5.3 million raised for Quebec and $2.1 million raised for other affected regions in Canada.

“Thanks to the generosity of Canadians, partners and businesses, the Red Cross is able to provide direct financial assistance to flooded or evacuated families. In the weeks to come, the Red Cross will provide recovery assistance for the people most affected by this disaster, based on their needs,” said Conrad Sauvé, president and CEO, Canadian Red Cross

Filed Under: News from Everywhere Else

About the Author:

RSSComments (0)

Trackback URL

Comments are closed.

  • RECENT COMMENTS
  • Archives
  • OPP reports
    lottery winners
    FIRE
    SCHOOL
    Contact MP Neil Ellis MPP Todd Smith
    County Traders Eurotech

    HOME     LOCAL     MARKETPLACE     COMMUNITY     CONTACT US
    © Copyright Prince Edward County News countylive.ca 2017 • All rights reserved.