All County, All the Time Since 2010 MAKE THIS YOUR PRINCE EDWARD COUNTY HOME...PAGE!  Tuesday, November 24th, 2020

Follow manufacturer’s instructions for single burner camp stove warns fire service

Following an incident in a Greater Toronto Area apartment unit where two occupants were injured, the Prince Edward County Fire Department is urging residents to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the single burner camp stove called the “Cassette Cooker.”

Residents are urged to read the warning labels and instructions regarding the appliance and to turn over the drip pan, prior to using the cooker, so the supports for the pot or pan are facing up.

Although the cooker has a “safety device” intended to prevent the installation of a butane canister when the drip pan is face down, this device can be easily circumvented.

The Prince Edward County Fire Department is concerned that when the butane canister is improperly installed and the drip pan is face down, the pot or pan can block the burner opening, forcing the hot gases down into the appliance enclosure. Some of these gases pass through bulkhead openings into the fuel compartment causing pressure to build and the temperature to increase in the butane canister.  These events occurred in the incident above and resulted in a fireball, injuring the occupants.

“To prevent injury, always follow the manufacturer’s instructions,” said Fire Prevention Officer Michael Branscombe.

These camp stoves are certified for outdoor use only in accordance with CSA 11.2-2000 “CSA Standard for Portable Type Gas Camp Stoves”. In addition, these cookers are approved for indoor use in restaurants under CSA Technical Information Letter (T. I. L.) R-21 “Portable Butane Cook Stoves for Restaurant Use”.

The Cassette Cooker, is currently being sold in large retail stores and smaller supermarkets for as little as $11.99 (+ tax) and it comes in a plastic case.

For more information or to request an interview, contact: Michael Branscombe, Fire Prevention Officer for Prince Edward County – mbranscombe@pecounty.on.ca or call 613-476-2345.

Filed Under: News from Everywhere Else

About the Author:

RSSComments (0)

Trackback URL

Comments are closed.

OPP reports
lottery winners
FIRE
SCHOOL
Elizabeth Crombie Christine Henden
Tony Scott Sharon Armitage

HOME     LOCAL     MARKETPLACE     COMMUNITY     CONTACT US
© Copyright Prince Edward County News countylive.ca 2020 • All rights reserved.