All County, All the Time Since 2010 MAKE THIS YOUR PRINCE EDWARD COUNTY HOME...PAGE!  Tuesday, July 16th, 2024

Contract awarded to build County’s new hospital

Construction for the new Prince Edward County Memorial Hospital (PECMH) will begin this month as the provincial government has awarded the contract to M. Sullivan & Son Limited.

“It’s the culmination of hard work, passion, generosity and good old-fashioned tenacity that has brought us to this exciting milestone,” said Stacey Daub, President and CEO, Quinte Health. “After more than a decade, we are moving forward with the build-phase of the new hospital, and I am filled with gratitude.”

Once complete, the new hospital is to be a leading-edge health care facility with improved equipment and facilities including a 24-hour emergency department, helipad, procedural suite, dialysis unit and other specializations.

With $23 million already raised, there is just another $4 million left to raise of the $27 million target, which is the community’s portion required for the new build. The funds raised cover 10 per cent of the cost of the bricks and mortar component of the hospital build, plus the equipment. The other 90 per cent of the hard construction costs will be covered by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC).

Partners and community members will have an opportunity to have a glimpse of the innovative new hospital design and learn more about the build process later this fall.

“The PECMH Auxiliary is excited to hear that the proponent for the hospital build has been chosen,” said Susan Quaiff, auxiliary president. “Our auxiliary celebrates 90 years this year, which represents thousands of volunteers over the past years contributing to this vital community resource – our beloved hospital. We look forward to seeing the shovels in the ground.”

“The dream of a new hospital for Prince Edward County is much closer to reality with this latest milestone, and we could not be happier,” said Mayor Steve Ferguson. “I want to congratulate all those involved in getting the project to this point, and I want to thank the community for their ongoing support for a new hospital.”

Peggy Payne, PECMH Foundation Chairperson, is proud of the milestone.

“We always knew that the new build would keep sustainability in mind to serve many generations in this community. Getting to this point would not be possible without the support of so many individuals and businesses. We would like to thank our donors, volunteers, staff, physicians, and everyone who has waited with anticipation for this day to come. We look forward to welcoming M. Sullivan & Son Limited to the team and celebrating with the community when those shovels go into the ground.”

Lisa O’Toole, Quinte Health Board Chair, says she has witnessed with profound interest and immense pride, the progress of the new hospital planning.

“I am truly in awe of the extensive work, staunch support, and relentless dedication that have propelled us forward. Today’s announcement is a testament to the generosity of the community I call home and our resilient Quinte Health team.”

Barinder Gill, Executive Director, Prince Edward Family Health Team, says the state-of-the-art health care facility will be the community’s crown jewel for many years to come.

“We are excited as partners in health care here in PEC to have a facility that will provide the very best environment for clinicians to deliver exceptional care and for patients to receive it, all so close to home.”

“We’ve reached the finish line after a long journey together,” said Todd Smith, Bay of Quinte MPP. I’m looking forward to seeing shovels in the ground this summer on this state-of-the-art health care facility. Congratulations to Quinte Health and the entire community on your unwavering commitment to this project.”

Filed Under: Featured ArticlesLocal News

About the Author:

RSSComments (2)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

  1. George &Judy Millaire says:

    Agreed! 👏👏

  2. Cheryl Anderson says:

    and a big THANK YOU to Leo Finnigan who doggedly pursued this goal through many years, many Councils and many health care team members.

Leave a Reply

OPP reports
lottery winners
FIRE
SCHOOL
Elizabeth Crombie Janice-Lewandoski
Home Hardware Picton Sharon Armitage

HOME     LOCAL     MARKETPLACE     COMMUNITY     CONTACT US
© Copyright Prince Edward County News countylive.ca 2024 • All rights reserved.