All County, All the Time Since 2010 MAKE THIS YOUR PRINCE EDWARD COUNTY HOME...PAGE!  Thursday, November 26th, 2020

Famous and infamous lie within Glenwood Cemetery’s gates

Gone But Not Forgotten

By Margaret Haylock Capon
In the Victorian era, burial grounds such as Picton’s Glenwood Cemetery, consecrated in 1873, were known as Cities of the Dead. Street names were assigned to roadways, to further perpetuate this community concept and prestigious “neighbourhoods” for interment of the socially prominent were mapped out. In death, as in life, one could, indeed, secure an address on the right side of town.

Most small, rural cemeteries and churchyard burial grounds lack such formality but the monuments within them often have compelling stories to tell. Far from being “dead-end” ghost communities, Prince Edward County’s many cemeteries are alive with history. The famous and infamous lie within their gates, their stories written in stone to pique the interest of passers-by.

Gone But Not Forgotten will profile some of the colourful individuals buried in county graveyards and provide interesting insights regarding the memorials chosen to mark their final resting places.

* * *

Albert Powers
A well-known Picton merchant with a long career in municipal politics, Albert Powers, was born on the Gerow Gore in Hallowell Township. A graduate of Picton Collegiate Institute, he travelled to New York, as a young man, where he spent a short time with his aunt and uncle, Mr. and Mrs. Alex Terwilligar. Upon his return, he joined his brother, Henry, in the retail grocery trade.

The partnership dissolved, after several years, and Albert went into the grocery business for himself. After 25 years in the retail trade, he became a wholesaler, in 1915. He sold out his grocery business to John Sloan and Company of Belleville in 1923, but repurchased it a year later and re-sold it to H.S. Colliver and Son.

Powers achieved a reputation as a successful businessman and a public spirited resident of his community. For many years, he was an usher at Picton United Church and a faithful church supporter.

In 1917-18 he was a member of Picton town council and, in 1919, was elected deputy-reeve. As a member of Prince Edward County Council he served on the Old People’s Home Committee. He was also a member of the Picton Collegiate board, for four years, and served as its deputy-chairman. For many years, he also held the position of treasurer of the Picton Conservative Association.

The popular Picton resident died suddenly while working on his accounts at his Picton home on Main Street West. A local newspaper reported that “without warning he dropped from his chair”. He was later buried in Picton’s Glenwood Cemetery.

Powers was survived by his wife, the former Florence English of Toronto, and daughters Mrs. Luther Woodward of White Plains, New York and Aylene Powers of Brooklyn, New York.

Beverley McDonald
An enterprising young man who opened his first store in Bloomfield, at the age of 18, Beverley McDonald later became a well-known Picton merchant. His business venture proved successful and after travelling, for approximately two years, he bought the W.A. Carson grocery and crockery store in Picton and successfully ran this business for 40 years.

In his obituary, it was noted that he was a businessman of whom Picton could be proud. He kept a good grocery store well-stocked and gave excellent service to the public. The McDonald grocery was popular and always had a large customer base.

Fred Stafford, who had been one of McDonald’s employees, eventually became a partner in the business and carried it on, following McDonald’s death.

McDonald was a member of Picton’s Board of Trade, an Odd Fellow, a Forester and a Kiwanian. For many years he was a member of the board managers of the Picton Presbyterian Church, where he was a regular attendant. The highly respected Picton merchant died suddenly, a short time after suffering a severe heart attack. He was survived by his wife, and two daughters, Mrs. C.B. Nourse (who became a well-known Picton photographer), and Miss Naomi McDonald of New York, a brother, Aaron of Wellington and sisters Mrs. W.J. Gerow of Picton and Mrs. Murphy of Wellington.

Beverley McDonald is buried in Picton’s Glenwood Cemetery, the final resting place of many of the town’s early merchants and businessmen.

* * *

-Margaret Haylock Capon, a freelance writer and former newspaper reporter, is the author of Hearts We Leave Behind, an illustrated history of Picton’s Glenwood Cemetery. She is a former member of both the Glenwood Cemetery board and the Prince Edward County Cemetery board. She and her husband, Alan R. Capon are Prince Edward County’s representatives of the Campbell Monument Company and co-authors of the company’s history, written during its centennial year (2009).

Helping You Remember

Campbell Monument has now introduced an extended service for families ordering new inscriptions (i.e. final dates), for existing monuments. For an additional $85, upright monuments will also be power washed and checked for safety and stability. Ground level markers will be raised, levelled and cleaned. In Prince Edward County, please contact Margaret Haylock and Alan Capon at 613-393-2254 for further details.

Filed Under: Margaret Haylock-CaponNews from Everywhere Else

About the Author: Maggie Haylock is a freelance writer and former newspaper reporter who has co-authored several books with her husband, Alan Capon.

RSSComments (0)

Trackback URL

Comments are closed.

OPP reports
lottery winners
FIRE
SCHOOL
Elizabeth Crombie Christine Henden
Tony Scott Sharon Armitage

HOME     LOCAL     MARKETPLACE     COMMUNITY     CONTACT US
© Copyright Prince Edward County News countylive.ca 2020 • All rights reserved.