All County, All the Time Since 2010 MAKE THIS YOUR PRINCE EDWARD COUNTY HOME...PAGE!  Sunday, April 11th, 2021

Gone But Not Forgotten: Hughes was postmaster of Waupoos for 21 years

Gone But Not Forgotten

By Margaret Haylock Capon
In the Victorian era, burial grounds such as Picton’s Glenwood Cemetery, consecrated in 1873, were known as Cities of the Dead. Street names were assigned to roadways, to further perpetuate this community concept and prestigious “neighbourhoods” for interment of the socially prominent were mapped out. In death, as in life, one could, indeed, secure an address on the right side of town.

Most small, rural cemeteries and churchyard burial grounds lack such formality but the monuments within them often have compelling stories to tell. Far from being “dead-end” ghost communities, Prince Edward County’s many cemeteries are alive with history. The famous and infamous lie within their gates, their stories written in stone to pique the interest of passers-by.

Gone But Not Forgotten will profile some of the colourful individuals buried in county graveyards and provide interesting insights regarding the memorials chosen to mark their final resting places.

* * *

WILLIAM HUGHES

Well-known businessman William Hughes, who operated a large general store at Waupoos for more than 25 years, died suddenly in 1951. He was 59 years old.

Originally, Hughes built a store on his farm. Later he purchased the John Mitchell store, which had served residents of the Waupoos area for many years and transferred his business there. In the report of his death it was noted that by fair dealing and good service coupled with an obliging and cheerful nature he had built a large clientele.

A sports enthusiast, the popular grocer was particularly interested in baseball and hockey. Hughes encouraged young people to participate in sports and was the manager of the local baseball team. He was ever ready to transport players to games.

Active in sports, himself, in earlier years, he spent his boyhood days at Point Traverse and Woodrous. Following his marriage to Barbara Bongard he moved to a farm at Waupoos, where he would later run his store.

For 21 years, Hughes served as the postmaster of Waupoos. He was also secretary-treasurer of the school board for 24 years.

The funeral service for William Hughes was held at the Gilbert Company Chapel with Rev. Mr. Campbell officiating. Interment followed in Cherry Valley Cemetery. Pall bearers were George Jones, Mac Wright, Percy Whattam, George McKenzie. Gilbert Branscombe and Herb Creasy.

* * *

-Margaret Haylock Capon, a freelance writer and former newspaper reporter, is the author of Hearts We Leave Behind, an illustrated history of Picton’s Glenwood Cemetery. She is a former member of both the Glenwood Cemetery board and the Prince Edward County Cemetery board. She and her husband, Alan R. Capon are Prince Edward County’s representatives of the Campbell Monument Company and co-authors of the company’s history, written during its centennial year (2009).

Helping You Remember

Campbell Monument has now introduced an extended service for families ordering new inscriptions (i.e. final dates), for existing monuments. For an additional $85, upright monuments will also be power washed and checked for safety and stability. Ground level markers will be raised, levelled and cleaned. In Prince Edward County, please contact Margaret Haylock and Alan Capon at 613-393-2254 for further details.

Filed Under: Margaret Haylock-CaponNews from Everywhere Else

About the Author:

RSSComments (0)

Trackback URL

Comments are closed.

OPP reports
lottery winners
FIRE
SCHOOL
Elizabeth Crombie Christine Henden
Tony Scott Sharon Armitage

HOME     LOCAL     MARKETPLACE     COMMUNITY     CONTACT US
© Copyright Prince Edward County News countylive.ca 2021 • All rights reserved.