All County, All the Time Since 2010 MAKE THIS YOUR PRINCE EDWARD COUNTY HOME...PAGE!  Sunday, January 23rd, 2022

Loch-Sloy property sale finalized

Photograph from the real estate listing for Camp Picton/Loch Sloy

PEC Community Partners Inc. – a group of community builders based mainly in Toronto and area announced today it has finalized the purchase of Loch-Sloy Business Park and Picton Airport lands. The property was last listed with a Toronto real estate firm asking $14.9 million.

The business park, aerodrome and development land includes approximately 688 acres and more than 400,000 square feet of buildings, three runways, six hangers; four separate land parcels and single family residential homes as well as the Flying Club. The Industrial park has more than 50 tenants and a waiting list.

The revitalization of the 70-acre business park is the first priority for the group, said Sydney Stonier, public relations.

“Community engagement and collaboration will be central to shaping the future of the site and the group will be launching a community consultation series in 2022,” said Stonier. “The group looks forward to engaging with residents and businesses to reimagine, revitalize, and honour the heritage of this landmark property in the heart of Prince Edward County.”

PEC Community Partners Inc., states Stonier, is a group of community builders including Tercot Communities, DECO Communities, PEC Placemaking, and Rockport Group.

“The Ontario-based partnership brings together expertise in mixed-use residential, affordable housing and commercial space, adaptive re-use of heritage sites, and complete community development with a specific focus
on creative placemaking.”

The site originally hosted Camp Picton (Royal Airforce No. 31 Bombing and Gunnery School), as part of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan that trained aircrews from the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, during the Second World War, becoming operational on April 3, 1941.

Six hangars and 43 other smaller buildings were constructed as messes, accommodations and other facilities. Runways that were 2500 long and 150 feet wide were built. Additional installations were built at Point Traverse and Point Petre, which served as bombing ranges.

In 1948 Camp Picton became home to the Royal Canadian School of Artillery (Anti-Aircraft). In 1960, the 1st Battalion Canadian Guards were posted there receiving The Freedom of the City – the highest honour a municipality can offer.

A small, self-contained town was built in the 1950s serving as quarters for military families and about 1200 people lived there. Many airmen married local women and returned here in retirement. The camp was closed in 1969 with a devastating impact on the local economy.

The site was decommissioned as a military base in 1969 and sold to former Mayor of Picton, H. J. McFarland who renamed it Loch-Sloy in honour of his Scottish heritage.

In 1971, it became an Ontario government facility called Prince Edward Heights (assisting residents with developmental challenges).

It was purchased as a private facility in 1999 with the ‘faces’ of the company being Jacqui Burley and brother Steve Everall as property managers.

It is the last remaining site of its kind in North America with many original buildings still intact.

More than two dozen television and movie productions have taken place at the site over the years. A number of small businesses continued to use the facility for a wide range of business activities including self-storage, small business operations as well as an arts and culture space.

Filed Under: News from Everywhere Else

About the Author:

RSSComments (0)

Trackback URL

Comments are closed.

OPP reports
lottery winners
FIRE
SCHOOL
Elizabeth Crombie Christine Henden
Tony Scott Sharon Armitage

HOME     LOCAL     MARKETPLACE     COMMUNITY     CONTACT US
© Copyright Prince Edward County News countylive.ca 2022 • All rights reserved.