All County, All the Time Since 2010 MAKE THIS YOUR PRINCE EDWARD COUNTY HOME...PAGE!  Sunday, August 9th, 2020

New COVID-19 case in Hastings and Prince Edward Counties

Ontario Public Health Laboratory tests have confirmed a new case of COVID-19 in Hastings and Prince Edward Counties – the first positive case in HPEC since May 18.

Hastings Prince Edward Public Health reports a resident of Quinte West has tested positive for the virus after returning from travel. The individual is in self-isolation at home and all close contacts have been identified and assessed.

“It is important to note that this is a case related to travel and that local spread of COVID-19 has not been identified,” said Alexa Caturay, Acting Medical Officer of Health.

Additionally, she said, the case is not associated with Canadian Forces Base Trenton. To protect the privacy of the affected individual, no further details about the case will be shared; however, the recommendations to prevent the spread of infection remain unchanged.

“A new case in this community is a reminder that we all still have a job to do,” said Caturay. “To continue our fight against COVID-19, we have to persevere with the physical distancing, hand hygiene and face-masking strategies that have been effective for us so far.

Hastings Prince Edward Public Health (HPEPH) recommends five fundamentals to combat the spread of COVID-19:
Stay home when ill;
Maintain physical distancing of two metres from others;
Wear a mask or face covering when physical distancing is difficult, or not possible;
Practice hand hygiene and environmental cleaning;
Screen and test anyone who is concerned about potential transmission.

“This coming long weekend, many people will be getting outside to celebrate and enjoy the beauty of our region,” said Caturay. “This pandemic has been part of our lives for a long time and we understand that everyone is looking for a return to what feels normal. To keep up with our fight against COVID-19, we have to persevere, even though many of us are tired.

“Our community has done an exemplary job of using the public health tools that work to keep us safe – physical distancing, hand hygiene and face mask strategies that have been effective so far. This demonstration of kindness and respect for each other, of working hard together to stay safe and healthy is what makes our community resilient and will continue to keep us all safe.”

The HPEPH website, hpePublicHealth.ca is continuously updated with current information and answers for many questions about COVID-19. Residents of Hastings and Prince Edward Counties who still have questions about COVID-19 after reviewing the online content can call the COVID-19 information line at 613-966-5500, Monday to Friday between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm (excluding statutory holidays).

Filed Under: Local News

About the Author:

RSSComments (3)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

  1. Andy Bowers says:

    “Most have already contacted it and had no idea as the vast majority had no symptoms” is – without reference – your opinion. You are entitled to your own opinion. The facts as found at https://covid-19.ontario.ca/data give a totally different picture – 2,235,697 tests and 39,449 cases reported for the period April 15 to August 2.

  2. Anonymous says:

    The insanity to worry about positive cases blows my mind, positive cases without fatality is the most positive outcome. Viral immunity is the goal here. Anyone that thinks this is just going to go away or they won’t get it has lost the plot. And news flash most have already contacted it and had no idea as the vast majority of people show no symptoms. There is not a single measure in place that is designed to “cure” this. It’s all about slowing spread to a rate manageable for the health care system to handle. And most hospitals across North America are ghost towns. Time to return to normal. The severity of this nonsense was way overblown at the start and nobody wants to admit they were wrong. And you all are failing the compliance test this has turned into.

  3. Doris. Lane says:

    This is a case that shows we should not travel nor should all the people that are travelling to PEC from out of our county be coming here
    So many licence plates from Quebec and some from the U S

Leave a Reply

OPP reports
lottery winners
FIRE
SCHOOL
Elizabeth Crombie Christine Henden
Tony Scott Sharon Armitage

HOME     LOCAL     MARKETPLACE     COMMUNITY     CONTACT US
© Copyright Prince Edward County News countylive.ca 2020 • All rights reserved.