All County, All the Time Since 2010 MAKE THIS YOUR PRINCE EDWARD COUNTY HOME...PAGE!  Tuesday, September 28th, 2021

Take Back the Night Rally returns to Picton

Participants in the 2015 event pose for a group photo before the march.

Participants in the 2015 event pose for a group photo before the march.

Take Back the Night, an event held in communities around the world with a mission to end gender-based violence, is returning to Picton this year.

Take Back the Night marches, rallies and vigils are designed to be empowering gatherings to enable women to publicly express resolve to end violence and victim blaming that often accompanies it.

“Women are told from a young age not to walk alone, go out after dark and to avoid certain areas, but this should not be the script,” said Rahno Boutilier, executive director with Alternatives for Women in Prince Edward County. “Women have a right to live in safety wherever they go and whenever they choose.”

Boutilier says the warnings are especially ineffectual when the reality is that more women experience violence in their own home, at the hands of someone they know.

“Last year’s event in Prince Edward County was quite successful,” said organizer Christine Renaud, “and the hope is to increase the number of women taking part this time. All are invited to take part to demonstrate our community’s commitment to both shattering the silence about violence against women and working together to stop it,” said Renaud.

The format for the evening will follow last year’s, beginning with a free community meal open to everyone. Following, participants are invited to create banners and signs to carry in the march.

Meet Wednesday, Oct. 19 beginning at 5:30 pm at the Picton Town Hall at Ross and King streets in Picton. Materials to create banners and signs will be provided. The march begins at 7 pm. Marchers are invited to return to the hall afterward for coffee and conversation.

Alternatives for Women, the agency which provides free and confidential counselling and support to abused women in Prince Edward County, is hosting the event with the free meal provided by Food Not Bombs.

In advance of the event, staff from Alternatives for Women will be out in the community distributing flyers and information about the agency’s services to local businesses and other community agencies.

Filed Under: News from Everywhere Else

About the Author:

RSSComments (2)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

  1. Fred says:

    I notice that police departments still advise not to walk alone at night and if necessary to travel in well lighted areas.

  2. Dennis Fox says:

    What a great event to highlight such an important topic – the Alternative for Women organization deserves our full support and thanks!

OPP reports
lottery winners
FIRE
SCHOOL
Elizabeth Crombie Christine Henden
Tony Scott Sharon Armitage

HOME     LOCAL     MARKETPLACE     COMMUNITY     CONTACT US
© Copyright Prince Edward County News countylive.ca 2021 • All rights reserved.