All County, All the Time Since 2010 MAKE THIS YOUR PRINCE EDWARD COUNTY HOME...PAGE!  Saturday, December 5th, 2020

Reminder: Skyway Bridge closed Wednesday overnight as stage one ends

To complete the work over water, the contractor is using cranes on barges to remove existing structural steel girders and erect new ones. – Aecon Construction photo

The Quinte Skyway Bridge will be closed overnight Wednesday, Aug. 28 from 9 p.m., expected to re-open Thursday, Aug. 29 at 6 a.m.

The full closure (no traffic permitted) was announced by Aecon Construction earlier this summer as it continues work on the 850m long high-level bridge.

Several night-time closures are required each year to safely accommodate lifting steel girders and placing concrete in the new bridge deck.

The bridge, constructed circa 1967, is undergoing major repairs over the next five years. Work includes replacement of the steel girders and deck, rehabilitation of the piers and reconstruction of abutments. The bridge deck is to be widened slightly and will include 1.5m shoulders on each side.

“The beautiful weather has made things easier in helping meet the aggressive work schedule,” said Nancy Gourlay, Community/Communications Liaison.

Stage one of the middle segment of the bridge is expected to be complete by the end of August, with Stage two starting the beginning of September with an anticipated finish date of December 2019.

Gourlay said during stage one Aecon completed demolition which included the removal of asphalt, barrier walls, bridge deck and steel girders. Installation of new structural steel girders, framework installation to support the new reinforced steel required for the new concrete deck has also been completed.

The final phase for completing the first stage was the placement of the concrete deck, barrier walls and asphalt paving.

In addition to the work being completed on top of the bridge, crews continue to work on the underside as well as completing removal and replacement of deteriorated concrete.

Gourley says stage two will be a mirror image of stage one, but now on the southbound lane with modified work hours for when the contractor is permitted to complete demolition.

Any work requiring elevated construction noise will occur between the hours of 6 a.m. and 10 p.m.

“As in stage one, the contractor will be working seven days a week and 24 hours a day as needed to have this work done by the end of 2019,” she said.

Filed Under: Featured Articles

About the Author:

RSSComments (0)

Trackback URL

Comments are closed.

OPP reports
lottery winners
FIRE
SCHOOL
Elizabeth Crombie Christine Henden
Tony Scott Sharon Armitage

HOME     LOCAL     MARKETPLACE     COMMUNITY     CONTACT US
© Copyright Prince Edward County News countylive.ca 2020 • All rights reserved.