All County, All the Time Since 2010 MAKE THIS YOUR PRINCE EDWARD COUNTY HOME...PAGE!  Wednesday, November 29th, 2023

Waupoos family continues to Back the Build of County’s new hospital

Pictured on the future site of the new hospital, from left, are: Jen Halsall, Dexter Halsall; Joan Halsall, and Shannon Coull, executive director of the PECMH Foundation. Missing from the photo is Matthew Halsall. – Briar Boyce photo

Since retiring to, and marrying in, Waupoos, Joan and Dexter Halsall are continuing their support for health care close to home – this time specifically to help the new hospital build with environmental sustainability enhancements.

The Halsall family’s gift of $150,000 to the Prince Edward County Memorial Hospital Foundation goes toward efforts to lower the new hospital’s carbon footprint with a focus on low-energy, low-emission and sustainable heating and cooling sources.

The Halsall family supports the enhancements, having undertaken many of the same initiatives at their home. The couple moved to the County in 2017, from Oakville, after retiring from careers in financial services. They were married in 2018 at Waupoos Estates Winery, down the road from their home.

They have supported the hospital foundation for the past three years with donations for the new hospital and have made additional contributions to medical equipment and other much-needed healthcare services.

“Joan and I have needed to use the hospital over the years. The care champions working at PECMH are always supportive and caring. Helping the doctors, nurses, and technologists acquire new equipment and move into a more modern hospital will help them deliver the best care possible to the community,” said Dexter. “Joan and I felt that it was a priority to help in that endeavour.”

A room in the inpatient unit of the new hospital will be named the ‘Bear Lair,’ representing the Halsall family’s commitment to delivering healthcare to the community they proudly call home.

The hospital foundation is raising $27M for the new build scheduled to open in 2027, with shovels going into the ground in spring 2024.

The $27M is to cover 10 per cent of the cost of the bricks and mortar component of the hospital build, and 100 per cent of the medical equipment. The other 90 per cent of the hard construction costs is to be covered by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC)

“Our caregivers continue to provide exceptional care for patients and their families, but the aging facility is challenging to work in,” said Shannon Coull, executive director of the PECMH Foundation.

“We are thankful to the Halsalls for their inspiring donations and for supporting the future of health care delivery in the County. Their generosity will be felt for decades to come. We can’t wait to see the new building constructed and invite Dexter, Joan, and their family to view their name on the room that will be named in recognition of their generous support.”

Filed Under: cheersFeatured ArticlesNews from Everywhere Else

About the Author:

RSSComments (1)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

  1. Dan says:

    Thanks folks.

Leave a Reply

OPP reports
lottery winners
Elizabeth Crombie Janice-Lewandoski
Tony Scott Sharon Armitage

© Copyright Prince Edward County News 2023 • All rights reserved.